Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the year Award
The purpose of this award is to give appreciation and recognition to public purchasing professionals that have made significant contributions within the past two years to the success of their entities, their profession, and themselves. It is presented annually at the North Carolina Association of Governmental Purchasing (NCAGP) Spring School and Conference in memory of Billy D. Ray, CLGPO, Purchasing Manager for the City of Burlington, for his outstanding contributions and service to the cause and advancement of the public purchasing profession.
Candidates for this award may be nominated by themselves, their entity, or other individuals. The nominees must be actively employed in public purchasing and be active NCAGP members in good standing. No member of the Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the Year Award Committee may be considered for this award.
The definition of "Purchaser" for this award is not restricted to job title and consists of performing technical work in the procurement of a variety of supplies, materials, apparatus, equipment, and services. Examples of job functions involved in the duties of a purchaser include: preparing specifications; analyzing purchase order requests; conferring with requisitioning personnel regarding specifications, quantity, and quality of merchandise; conducting (or assisting with) bid openings; soliciting price quotations; evaluating bids and quotations and making recommendations for award; interviewing sales representatives; examining invoices; maintaining and updating files and information on sources of supply for various commodities; coordinating (or assisting with) public auctions; preparing and receiving bids for sale of surplus property.
Nominations shall be made by any person by submission of the Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the Year Award Nomination Form. Submitted information shall reflect nominee activity for the previous two years in public procurement for the period of January 1st to December 31st for the following categories: Contributions to purchasing, contributions to professional development, contributions to the entity he or she serves, professional certification, and contributions to NCAGP and/or NIGP.
Using the established criteria, the Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the Year Award Committee, chaired by the NCAGP Immediate Past-President and comprised of the current NCAGP Board Vice-President and a Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the Year Award past recipient, shall evaluate each nominee and recommend the successful candidate to the NCAGP Executive Board for acceptance and award of a Billy D. Ray "Purchaser of the Year" Plaque and a $650 Scholarship for use toward:
- NCAGP or UNC School of Government Sponsored Seminar or Conference.
- NIGP Annual Forum.
- NIGP Sponsored Seminar or Conference.
- Professional Purchasing Certification/Recertification Fees.
- Tuition for an educational course in which the major subject content is related to the duties and responsibilities of a professional purchaser.
- Training materials or publications related to the coursework listed above.
- Accommodations, travel-related expenses (airfare and mileage), and meals associated with the seminar, conference, or forum listed above.
USE OF SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS
- Scholarship funds must be used by the recipient within (1) calendar year from the date of award. Failure to use the awarded scholarship shall forfeit the individual rights to said funds, and the funds shall be returned to the NCAGP for future applicants.
- Scholarship funds shall be awarded annually at the discretion of the NCAGP Executive Board and subject to funds availability.
- Scholarship funds are non-transferable.
- Scholarship funds may not be applied toward the cost of a past event.
- Scholarship funds cannot be used for expenses for which the recipient is reimbursed from the employer or other granting sources.
- Scholarship funds for an approved event will be paid by the NCAGP as follows:
- Seminar, Conference or Forum Registration Fees directly to the organization or entity sponsoring the event.
- Accommodations, travel-related expenses, and meal expenses by reimbursement to the recipient with receipts and/or proof of prior payment.
- Professional Purchasing Certification/Recertification Fees directly to the sponsoring organization or entity or by reimbursement to the recipient with proof or prior payment.
- Tuition, training materials and publications by reimbursement to the recipient with proof or prior payment and proof of maintaining a passing grade in coursework.
PRIOR RECIPIENTS INCLUDE:
2022 Tim Wood, CLGPO, Procurement Manager, City of Goldsboro
|Terra Vuncannon, CLGPO, Purchasing Manager, County of Moore
|Craig Wilkie, CLGPO, Purchasing Agent, Craven County
|Noelle Woods, CLGPO, Purchasing Manager, Wayne County
|Lori Colon, MBA, CLGPO, Purchasing & Warehouse Manager, City of New Bern
|Velicia Moore, Purchasing Agent, Guilford County Schools
|Brent Quick, CLGPO, Purchasing Agent, Town of Knightdale
|Cleve Haddock, CLGPO, Procurement Coordinator, Greenville Utilities Commission
|Cynthia Hewitt, CLGPO, Purchasing Agt, Onslow Water & Sewer Auth.
|Hal Hayes, CLGPO, Purchasing Director, City of Burlington
|Sonjia Cross, CLGPO, Senior Buyer, City of Burlington
|Bobby Summers, Buyer, City of Greensboro
|Beatrice Abernathy, CLGPO, Purchasing Specialist, Catawba County
|Genetta Carothers, A.P.P., Purchasing Agent, City of Charlotte
|John Mann, Jr., CLGPO, Purchasing Officer, Guilford County Schools
|Joe Clark, CLGPO, Purchasing Manager, City of Durham
|Frances S. Wright, CLGPO, Purchasing Manager, Edgecombe County
Billy D. Ray Purchaser of the Year Award